In Search of Soy: The Adventures of Celina

Friday, May 18, 2007

Eurovision is just dumb

I hate the Eurovision Song Contest.

I'm not saying I'm going to hate it forever because I ain't no damn fool. But I hate it right now.

Well, to be honest, seeing as it's been almost a week since The Vision my initial loathing has somewhat simmered down. But I'm still a bit angry at the Eurovision Song Contest.

So, OK. I don't hate hate it, but it was a little bit crap. For me. I'm sure the event itself was still great.

I went to Helsinki to cover Eurovision in a behind-the-scenes, what's-it-all-about-alfie? kind of way. I had this idea that I could hover in the green room and watched the semi-finals imagining what questions I would put to which Euro stars. But then I got there I realised that not only did I not get to go backstage but I didn't even get to go in front of the stage. My press pass essentially allowed me in to the press centre and got me free transport through the Finnish capital.

Oh. And I got a Eurovision laptop bag which included a Marija Serifovic notepad and paper door knob hanger.

For that I travelled across a continent and slept in airports on two consecutive nights on my days off.

And for that, I hate Eurovision. A little bit. For now.